The following is general wording suggested by BDA for all drilling operations:-
Audited Land Drilling Operatives
- All drilling operatives (Lead Drillers and Drillers) employed on the Contract shall hold a valid and current Audit card of competence applicable to the work and specific drilling operation on which they are engaged, as issued by the British Drilling Association Limited under its BDA Audit or an equivalent body in a State of the European Union.
- All drilling operatives (Lead Drillers and Drillers) employed on the contract shall hold a valid and current CSCS blue skilled (Land Drilling) card as issued by Construction Skills Certification Scheme Limited or an equivalent body in a State of the European Union.
- With regard to clause 1, this covers the NVQ requirement as operatives are only admitted to BDA Audit after having provided evidence that they are already NVQ qualified.
- With regard to clause 1, the words “applicable to the work and specific drilling operation” can be further defined for specific contracts. The BDA Audit card endorsements for a Lead Driller in ground investigation are one or more of the following:
- – Ground Investigation – Cable Percussion
- – Ground Investigation – Rotary
- – Ground Investigation – Dynamic Sampling
- For Lead Drillers in other drilling disciplines the endorsements are: –
- – Drilling and Grouting
- – Drilling and Anchoring
- – Marine – cable percussion
- – Marine – rotary
- – Water well – cable percussion
- – Water well – rotary
- – Landfill drilling – cable percussion
- – Landfill drilling – rotary
- – Geothermal drilling
- Please note that a Driller (who supports the drilling operation and was previously termed secondman) does not have any drilling discipline endorsements on his/her card. Neither the NVQ or BDA Audit processes, at this stage, assess or endorse them for specific works.
- With regard to clause 2, the BDA Audit does in fact require proof of this for anyone applying for BDA Audit status and thereafter on each 12 month on site Audit. But it’s possible that an individual’s CSCS card may have expired between audits, so this is why we suggest this clause as well.